Friday, October 31, 2008

Last day at the office

Today was my last day at the office at the Town Hall in Bodoe. The wonderful people at the department for children, adolescence and culture gave my a small farewell party. And they also said some very nice things about me. Which I really didn’t expect. Not because I’m not nice, but when you work like I do (like most politician) you don’t always get the chance to form great relationship with your “co-workers” so to speak. Your job is for the most part to tell them what to do, via issues debated, discussed and voted over in the Town Council, and to tell them “no” when we don’t have any funding left. But they were surprisingly happy with my work, and even proud of what I’ve, with the help of them, had done in the last year.

Which made me think… Why is it that we always tell people that we are proud of them, or that they’re doing a great job, or that what they’re doing is important, when they leave? Wouldn’t it make more sense to tell them while “it” is happening? I for one am going to try to do that in my next job. And in life in general. Maybe they wouldn’t leave then…?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, but it's not custom in Norway to give positive feedback. With the exception of your last day in the office or when you're drunk.

Positive feedback has gotten me through tough times at work. For the record: My boss was always sober :-)

Anonymous said...

Siri: you've always been great - and you will always be great in any way and in anything you set your mind in to doing.
I sure will miss you, but I'm glad you're headed toward the big goal: save the world!